I’m super excited and honored to announce that I’m going to be speaking at the 2015 National Cartoonists Society Reuben Awards! Perhaps even better, I’ve been caricatured by Mad’s Tom Richmond for the brochure cover! (I’m second in from right under the flag with the glasses, hat, and the giant, and sadly quite accurate, nose.)
You won’t believe the other people speaking:
- Mort Drucker– First recipient of the “NCS Medal of Honor”; Speaker
- Jeff Keane– Recipient of the NCS “Silver T-Square” for outstanding dedication to the Society
- Brian Crane– Reuben winning creator of the syndicated comic strip “Pickles”; speaker
- Doug Mahnke– Superstar comic book artist; speaker
- Juana Medina– Illustrator, first recipient of the Jay Kennedy Memorial Scholarship; speaker
- Nick Galifianakis– Cartoonist, author, illustrator; speaker
- Ann Telnaes, Pulitizer prize winning editorial cartoonist; moderating a panel on “Cartooning and Free Speech”
I’ll be talking about how I got started cartooning, how I make a living online, and my many spectacular failures.
Hope to see you there!!
Every so often you see an idea that makes you just want to bang your head with your fist.
Below is just such an ouchable moment courtesy Ryan Dunlavey:
More here! Thanks to Super Punch!
Tom Richmond is one of those guys you idolize as a kid; he’s an artist for Mad, he’s huge, and he’s got his own Batman outfit. (OK, truth be told, I wanna be Tom too.)
Plus he finds the time for really interesting in-depth blog posts that make you admire him even more!
Curse you, Richmond! (Now, back to reading your blog…)
Technorati Tags: andertoons, blogs, cartooning, cartoonists, cartoons
Ran across The Don Martin Dictionary a while ago, and with the Mad’s Greatest Artists: The Completely Mad Don Martin on the way, I’m glad to have such a comprehensive resource at my command.
Plus it’s a heck of a lot of fun!
- “SHKLIZORTCH” – Water Squirting Out Of A Telephone Handset – MAD #231, June 1982, Page 31
- “TOOMP, FWOP, FWIFFFFFF” – Car Hitting Inflated Man,Who Bounces Into The Air Continuing To Inflate – MAD #255 June 1985 Page 27
- “FURSHGLURK” – Yecch Monster Dropping Into Giant Toilet – MAD #164, Jan 1974, Page 32
Technorati Tags: andertoons, cartooning, cartoonists, cartoons, Mad, websites