Visual marketing continues to be popular, but some of the traditional kinds of images are beginning to get a little stale.
Stock photos are routinely mocked, and infographics aren’t nearly as effective as they once were. In fact, Google’s own Matt Cuts has said:
“I would not be surprised if at some point in the future we did not start to discount these infographic-type links to a degree.”
And as much as I like a good cat GIF, opportunities to use them are, well, limited.
There is, however, another type of underutilized visual marketing that might be just what you’re looking for…
Cartoons are social media’s secret weapon. According to Moz founder, Rand Fishkin…
“Comics, illustrations, or storyboards that tell a narrative visually, (are) incredibly popular and get picked up all the time.”
So what makes cartoons powerful content? Cartoons are:
Because we grow up reading picture books, comics strips, comic books and the like, we have a deep connection to and affection for cartoon images.
Multiple studies show that humor improves memory. Here’s just a few:
See Rand Fishkin above.
I think this quote says it best:
“95% of New Yorker readers read the cartoons first. The other 5% are lying.”
– David Remnick, Editor of The New Yorker
So, using relevant cartoons as part of your content marketing is a great idea. But even better are:
Cartoons that integrate your brand and message are incredibly powerful. On the surface they’re simply the gift of a shared joke, but smart marketers know to use cartoons like a Trojan horse, hiding their content subtly inside.
Here are a few recent examples of custom cartoons I created:
Custom cartoons are a significant part of Andertoons, and every year I create a few hundred for forward-looking clients large and small.
With 2015 approaching fast, I’m beginning to line up clients, finalize my schedule, and reexamine my fees. But I thought I’d try something a little different next year:
Cartoons by the Dozen
Even when business is good, creative professionals like myself are always a little nervous about when and where the next job is coming from. So for 2015 I’m offering a very limited number of custom cartoon packages at a terrific discount so I can sleep a little easier.
I’ll create 12 funny and original cartoons about your product, company, or industry that you can use in:
- Social media
And that discount I was talking about?
$3000 for 12 gray custom cartoons or $6000 for 12 color custom cartoons
You probably have a few questions about how it works, and when you pay and all that, and you can find answers to everything at my Custom Cartoons page.
You’ll want to act quickly, however, because there are only 10 of these discount packages available. And when they’re gone, they’re gone.
You might also like these articles: