Just when you thought there were no more Washaw cartoons to be had, WHAM!, a whole new set!
This time it's car cartoons! Hoo-hoo!
Technorati Tags: andertoons, cards, cartoon, cartoonist, cartoons, flickr
So last week my wife’s car decided it’d had enough. But money pit though it had become, I’m kinda gonna miss our old ’99 Olds Intrigue.
I’ve said before that I hate drawing cars. There’s something about the lines and the angles that, if not done properly, really stick out as amateurish in the final product.
The Olds was a good one for reference because it was just sort of an everyday nothing special kind of car:
See? Honestly, unless I told you it was an Olds, it could be pretty much anything.
Here’s one of the cartoons in which I used it for reference.
Here’s the new car:
It’s an ’07 Honda Civic. Still pretty nondescript. I’ll lethca know when it makes its way into its first cartoon.
Technorati Tags: andertoons, cartooning, cartoonists, cartoons
I like to draw cartoons. And it’s a good thing, because it’s my bread and butter.
But even someone who loves to draw, and does a fair amount of it, finds some subjects they just hate.
So here’s the stuff I hate drawing in cartoons:
- Horses – Mine always look like sausages with stick legs. Seriously. If I ever get a horse I’m going to name it bratwurst.
- Orchestras – I used to be a musician, so I get lost in the details. Plus there’s a crapload to draw. If I did these more often I’d really have to do some research to see how other cartoons have done it.
- Cars – I always have to go out to the driveway, take a picture of the car, and work from that. And it still looks awful. Cars today are just so roundy. Oh for the days when cars were either boxy or jet-inspired.
- Wolves – It’s had to find the right balance between a dog, and Wile E. Coyote.
- Bananas – You have to get the curves and straight lines just right, or it looks like one of my horses without the stick legs. And that little stem portion is a bugger too.
- Skeletons – I can do it, and make it look pretty good, but it’s gotta be a really killer skeleton joke to justify the time. I guess you could say they’re the bone of my existence. (But you shouldn’t.)
- Cell phones – It used to be you could show that little nub of an antenna, or the open flip phone, but now it’s difficult to tell if your character is talking into an iPhone or a bar of soap.
I’m sure there’s more, but that’s some of the worst.
There’s plenty of artists that read this blog. What about you guys? What do you hate to draw?
There’s a new “Cars” trailer online for those of you who are Pixar fans. Or have kids. Or like movies. Or don’t live the hermit/mountaintop guru lifestyle.
Check it out… (Watch the big HD version and give your eyes something to cheer about.)
Technorati Tags: animation, cartoons, movies, pixar