Cartoons for Email Marketing



You know that email marketing is one of the most effective and efficient ways to reach customers, but it’s all for nothing if they never open your message.

Looking for a way to increase open rates? Check out your new secret weapon – cartoons.

Why Use Cartoons?

Cartoons have been used to increase readership for decades. Newspapers and magazines have long known that cartoons are their most read and longest remembered content.

95% of New Yorker readers read the cartoons first. The other 5% are lying.

— David Remnick, editor of The New Yorker

The same goes for email. Take a look at MailChimp’s benchmark open rates* vs. the open rate for my own MailChimp emails with cartoons:


You read that right. Emails with cartoons have an open rate of  57.09%! That’s more than double the closest benchmark. (Want more detail? Here’s a PDF of my numbers for 9/3/16-10/3/16.)

And it’s not jut me:

“Marketers using cartoons see newsletter open rates of 45% vs. 5-8%.”

– Ekaterina Walter, Social Media Strategist

“[Cartoons] often double e-mail open rates and break through with regularity to the C-suite as contact campaigns.”

– Stu Heinecke, Salesforce Blog

Industry leaders are also saying some very nice thing about using my cartoons:

“Having Mark’s cartoons on every blog post has literally transformed the traffic on my blog. Around the time I started using cartoons, my per-article average Twitter RTs doubled and my RSS subscriber count grew at a visibly higher rate.
Now, with over 33,000 RSS subscribers and often getting 100s of RTs, I can’t imagine not using them, and people comment all the time about them.”

– Jason Cohen, founder of WP Engine and Smart Bear Software

“Many regular readers say that they look forward to the Andertoons cartoon on our site every Friday. Benefits to the site have been increased reader loyalty and engagement. For instance, Andertoons cartoons are tweeted an average of 137 times each, and shared regularly on Facebook, Pinterest and other sites. For sites that find it hard to generate image-based content, Andertoons cartoons are ideal.”

– Anita Campbell, founder of Small Business Trends

“I’ve been a fan of Mark’s cartoons for many years. Getting humor right is tricky — and he’s a master. So when I needed some cartoons for my GrowthBot, I subscribed to Andertoons. My users love them.”

– Dharmesh Shah, co-founder and CTO of HubSpot

Sign up for my Agency Subscription and watch your open rates soar.


Where Have I Seen Your Cartoons?


My cartoons appear in publications like:

  • Reader’s Digest
  • The Wall Street Journal
  • Good Housekeeping
  • Harvard Business Review
  • Forbes
  • The Saturday Evening Post
  • Barron’s
  • American Legion

Notable companies who use my cartoons include:

  • Intel
  • National Geographic
  • GE
  • Akamai
  • GM
  • US Airways
  • Walgreens

Additionally, hundreds of companies large and small use Andertoons cartoons in their email and social media marketing strategies.

I’ve also been a featured speaker at the National Cartoonists Society‘s annual Reuben Awards, spoken at the Kenosha Festival of Cartooning, delivered seminars on Success in Comics, and written for the International Journal of Comic Art. (I even have a cartoon in the Smithsonian Museum of American History!)

Sign up for an agency Subscription, and you’ll be in great company!


What Do I Get?


With your Andertoons Agency Subscription you’ll have access to:

  • Thousands of cartoons.
  • Unlimited downloads.
  • New cartoons every week.
  • Web-ready cartoons (480 x 360 px, 72 DPI).
  • Print-ready cartoons (approx 5″ sq, 300 DPI).
  • Best-in-class cartoon content.

What About Facebook, Twitter, etc..?

Use cartoons on all of your social media too. There’s no extra fee.

What Does It Cost?

$200 monthly, or $2000 for one year.

Any Fine Print?

Please don’t change any art or captions without permission. Please don’t resell the cartoons. And I retain copyright.

Basically, just be cool.

How Do I Sign Up?

Click below, follow the standard checkout and you’ll be good to go.


* Source – MailChimp October 3, 2016 benchmark report. Click here for most recent numbers.

Leave a Reply